Sunday, March 15, 2015

Potato Salad

I have a basic mustardy potato salad recipe.  All the grandparents love it.  My mother always tells me to make the potato salad, unless my brother is coming too.  Mine is more tart and his is sweet, so it depends on what you like.

Ingredients:
5 lbs. of potatoes
1 dozen eggs
1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
1/3 cup mustard
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. onion salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper

Directions:
1st of all, I like red potatoes over russet potatoes.  With red potatoes I just wash and cut in cubes and boil.  If I use russets, I peel and cube then boil.  Russet have a dirty taste with skins on no matter how much you wash.  I boil my potatoes and eggs together.  Boil until you can poke with a fork and its soft.  Don't boil too long or you'll have mashed potato salad...been there, done that!  While your potatoes and eggs are boiling, make your sauce.  Add mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar and spices.  Stir well.  This will be thick.  Add milk to thin sauce out a little.  You don't want it runny though.  Taste test to make sure it is seasoned to your liking.  After potatoes have finished boiling strain water and rinse.  Peel and chop boiled eggs and then mix everything in a large container.  Refrigerate immediately to cool.


Voila...this photo has had 6 servings taken from it.  YUMMY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment