Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sweet Venison Muscle Jerky

I make jerky every deer season.  My recipes vary, because I'm a dash of this and a dash of that kind of person.  I wrote this one down.  I used my dehydrator for this batch.  You can also cook on low heat in your oven on the top rack with foil on the bottom rack to catch the drippings.


Ingredients:

1/4 inch sliced venison or beef
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp Morton's smoked flavor sugar cure
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp onion salt
1/2 tsp. pepper (you may add more or less, depending how hot you like it.)

Directions:  

Mix all of the above ingredients except meat into a small bowl.  Mix well.  Put meat into mixture and mix up well so that all pieces get well coated.


Put into a plastic ziplock bag for at least 24 hours.  This gives the meat a chance to soak up all of those wonderful flavors.


After the meat has soaked for 24 hours, place on your dehydrator or in your oven.  If i use my oven i set it at 180* and leave it cracked open while my jerky cooks.  Cook or dehydrate for 6 to 8 hours.  Cool and store in open container if you want to dry it more, or store in a sealed container if dry enough.

1 comment: